Surely, It is More Than Just About Watering Vegetables
Raw ingredients has un-hygienic potent of some disease and illness, therefore wash your veggies carefully.
Here are the guidelines for washing vegetables properly:
- When washing the greens for salad, never put them under running water, it will damage the leaves. Instead, place the leaves in a bowl filled with cold water and very gently move them around in the bowl. Soak for a few minutes, gently lift out the greens, leaving the dirt and grit behind, and transfer them to another bowl.
- Then, change the water in the first bowl and keep washing the greens until there is no sand or grit left in the bottom of the bowl. Usually two washings are enough but very sandy or gritty greens may require three, even more.
- To dry the greens, there are a number of tricks and gadgets depending on the nature of the greens. Very delicate greens are best gently patted dry between two cloth towels. For most other greens, a salad spinner will be helpful to do the trick in much less time.
- Put the greens in the salad spinner and spin gently, when the greens stop spinning, remove the spinner lid, give the leaves a gentle toss to redistribute them, and spin again. Make sure the lettuce is very dry, as any moisture clinging to the leaves will dilute the dressing and make the salad taste watery.
- If you want to get organized early in the day, rinse and dry the lettuces and store them in the refrigerator wrapped in a damp towel. If storing for a longer period, wrap the greens in the damp towel and enclose that in a plastic bag.
- It is wise to dress the greens at the last minute as unless they will wilt quickly once it comes in contact with acidic ingredients such as vinegar or lemon.
Well, you have understood how the proper way to wash vegetables now is.